Iguazu Falls are without a doubt one of the most impressive natural landscapes in the world. When looking for accommodation, it can be a bit confusing to know where to stay to visit the Falls and you may have questions like… Puerto Iguazú or Foz de Iguazú? Hotel or apartment? In this post I tell you about everything about where to stay when visiting Iguazu Falls.
In this post you will find:
- Where to stay when visiting Iguazu Falls?
- Staying inside the Iguazu National Park
- Staying in Puerto Iguazú vs Foz do Iguaçú
- What is the best area to stay in Puerto Iguazú?
- Where to stay in Foz do Iguaçú?
To plan your visit to Iguazu Falls read my guides:
- Complete guide to visiting Iguazu Falls in Argentina
- Complete guide to visiting Iguazu Falls in Brazil
Where to stay when visiting Iguazu Falls? Things to consider:
Iguazú Falls are located on the Iguazú River and are shared between the province of Misiones in Argentina and the state of Paraná in Brazil. The two options where to base yourself for visiting the Fals are the city of Puerto Iguazú in Argentina and Foz do Iguaçu in Brazil.
When deciding where to stay in the Iguazu Falls there are several factors to consider such as: your estimated budget, which country you’re fliying to, if you are going to have your own car or not, if you like being close to restaurants and other shops.
Staying inside the Iguazu National Park
A unique option where you can stay if you have no problem with the budget is in the hotels located inside the National Parks of each country. There is only 1 hotel on each side and they allow you to be totally immersed in the landscape of the Falls. Obviously, being hotels with such an exclusive location, they are not cheap. These are the two hotels located inside the Iguazu National Park:
- Gran Melia Iguazu (Argentine side): the Gran Melia Iguazú is the only hotel within the Iguazú National Park in Argentina. From the window of your room you can see the Falls! It is a truly unique hotel and obviously has all the comforts and excellent service of Melia hotels. Prices of Gran Melia Iguazú on Booking.
- Belmond Hotel das Cataratas (Brazilian side): The Belmond is a historic hotel located within the Iguaçu National Park. Rooms offer panoramic views of the Falls. Prices of Belmond Hotel das Cataratas on Booking.
Staying in Puerto Iguazú vs Foz do Iguaçu
Both Puerto Iguazú and Foz do Iguazú are cities where you can find variety of accommodation. Here are the pros and cons of staying in each city:
- PUERTO IGUAZU (ARGENTINA):
✓ Cheaper accommodation options
✓ Small and quiet city
✘ Puerto Iguazú airport is located about 25 km from the city center.
✘ Fewer activities in the city
- FOZ DO IGUACU (BRAZIL):
✓ You usually find cheaper flights to Foz do Iguaçu
✓ Foz do Iguaçu airport is located about 17 km from the city center.
✘ Argentine peso is way more convenient if you have dollars or euros compared to the brazilian real
✘ Big city with a lot of movement and noise
Everything will depend on what your preferences are. As an argentinian, I stayed in the center of Puerto Iguazú and I recommend it.
What is the best area to stay in Puerto Iguazú?
If you choose to stay in Puerto Iguazú (Argentina), there are two main areas to stay:
1. Puerto Iguazú city center
Most of the hotels are located in the center of Puerto Iguazú which is small but has a great offer of accommodation due to the number of tourists that visit the Falls.
Staying in this area is ideal for those who want to be close to restaurants and other shops, and be able to reach these places on foot. It’s also the perfect area for those who want to go to the Falls by public transport. My recommendation is to book a hotel near the Puerto Iguazú bus terminal, from where the buses depart to the Falls.
↣Recommended hotels in Puerto Iguazú:
- O2 Hotel Iguazú: this was the hotel where I stayed with my boyfriend for 4 nights and we were fascinated. The O2 Iguazú is a new hotel, with all the facilities, located in the center of Puerto Iguazú about 6 minutes from the bus terminal. It is also close to restaurants and shops. The hotel has a rooftop pool overlooking the Iguazu River, gym, sauna, and a restaurant located on the ground floor. If you are looking for a nice place but don’t want to spend too much this hotel is perfect. Click here to see prices for O2 Hotel Iguazú on Booking.
- Panoramic Grand Iguazú: a hotel located in front of the Iguazú River. It has a restaurant, casino, swimming pool and fitness center. It is close to the bus terminal and several restaurants. Click here to see prices for Panoramic Grand on Booking.
- Iguazú Jungle Lodge: this hotel is located a little further away (about a 10-minute walk from the center) but it is worth it because it is surrounded by nature. The hotel has a swimming pool and restaurant. Click here to see prices for Iguazú Jungle Lodge on Booking.
Pictures of my stay at O2 Hotel Iguazú
↣Recommended hostel in Puerto Iguazú:
- Tangoinn Downtown: if you are looking for a hostel or a budget hotel, this is your place. The Tangoinn is located in the center of Puerto Iguazú, near the bus station. The hostel also has a brewery and a restaurant named Holy Brewery. I didn’t stay here but tried the beer and food and really liked it. They have both shared and private rooms. Click here to see prices for Tangoinn Downtown on Booking.
↣Recommended apartments in Puerto Iguazú:
If you prefer to have your own space, the best things is to rent an apartment. In Puerto Iguazú there are many places available on Booking or Airbnb. Check out these:
2. Iryapú jungle
If you want to be surrounded by the Misiones jungle, I recommend staying at one of the hotels located away from the center, in the Iryapú Jungle. Although the landscape is beautiful, you should consider that if you stay in these hotels you will have to spend more money on transportation to to the Falls, unless you have your own car.
↣Recommended hotels in Iryapu Jungle:
Where to stay in Foz do Iguaçu?
If you choose to stay in the Brazilian city, the best area to do so is downtown. In this area there are restaurants, shops and transport. There are also a number of hotels located on the route to the National Park on the Brazilian side, which are recommended if you have your own vehicle.
↣Some recommended hotels:
I hope this guide on where to stay when visiting Iguazu Falls has been helpful to you. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to leave a comment below 🙂
Other useful posts:
This post contains affiliate links. That means, if you click on certain links within this post and make a purchase, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Read more about it here.