Bariloche is one of the most visited destinations in Argentina. Both foreign and local tourists visit this beautiful city in Patagonia throughout the year. In this post I will tell you which are the best areas and hotels to stay in Bariloche.
En este post vas a encontrar:
Where should you stay in Bariloche?
As an argentinian myself Bariloche is one of my favourite places in the country. I’ve been there quite a few times and tried different types of accommodation.
To choose the area where you should stay in Bariloche you have to consider what your priorities and interests are.
Bariloche is a very popular winter destination due to Cerro Catedral ski center. If you travel in winter to practice snow sports, obviously it will be convenient for you to stay near this area.
But if you plan on traveling in another season instead you can opt for other areas. In the city center you will find more variety of accommodation and prices. This area is ideal if you are not going to rent a car since many day tours start from here and there are also public buses connecting different areas (although the frequency isn’t great).
If instead you are planning on renting a car, you can choose a hotel on Av. Bustillo, a little further from the center. If you are going to travel in summer I recommend choosing a hotel near Playa Bonita.
If it’s a hiking trip, it is best to stay in the Circuito Chico or Lake Gutierrez area, to be close to the start of many trails and surrounded by nature.
Below I will detail each area and recommend the best hotels.
Where to stay in Bariloche: best areas and hotels
- CENTER OF BARILOCHE
✓ Cheaper prices
✓ Variety of shops and restaurants
✘ Very touristy
The center of the city of Bariloche is the area with most accommodation offer. Also as expected in any city center you will find a great variety of shops (specially chocolate ones!) and restaurants. If you aren’t planning on renting a car, it is the best area to stay since from here you can take a bus or tours to other areas.
However, I do not recommend staying in the city center if what you are looking for is to be surrounded by nature.
Recommended hotels in the center of Bariloche:
- Hostel Inn Bariloche: I stayed in this hostel twice and would recommend it if you’re looking for a cheap place with great location. The rooms are simple but the hostel has an amazing terrace overlooking the Nahuel Huapi Lake. Click here to see photos, availability and prices.
- Selina Bariloche: a 3-star hotel with modern spaces and a young atmosphere. They have cheaper rooms with shared bathroom and others with private bathroom. It has a swimming pool, gym and restaurant. Click here to see photos, availability and prices.
- AVENIDA BUSTILLO
✓ Lake views
✓ Quiet area
✓ Hoteles have more category
✘ You need to have a car
If you are looking for a good location to explore Bariloche but you want to get away from the crowds, I recommend you stay in one of the hotels on Av. Bustillo. This route skirts the lake and goes from the city center to Circuito Chico. There are many hotels located in front of the lake, with spectacular views. You can also find many restaurants located on Av. Bustillo.
Some hotels are also near the city center and you can walk there if you don’t have a car. But the vast majority of hotels are located further away and the best option is to rent a car.
Recommended hotels in Av. Bustillo:
- El Casco Art Hotel: I stayed at this hotel the last time I was in Bariloche and I highly recommend it. It has direct access to the lake and the view is incredibly beautiful. The hotel staff is friendly and always ready to help. It has a swimming pool, spa and gym. Truly one of the best hotels in Bariloche! Click here to see photos, availability and prices.
- La Cascada Casa Patagónica by DON: 4-star hotel located on the shores of Nahuel Huapi, near Playa Bonita. Super cozy and picturesque, ideal for a relaxing stay. Click here to see photos, availability and prices.
Alma del lago suites & spa: This hotel is located very close to the city center so it is a good option for those who don’t want to rent a car. It has a spa and heated pool. Click here to see photos, availability and prices.
- CIRCUITO CHICO Y LLAO LLAO
✓ Quiet area
✓Hoteles have more category
✘ A bit isolated
Circuito Chico is a 17-kilometer route that offers the most spectacular views of Bariloche. On this route is the Llao Llao peninsula, where the emblematic LLao Llao Hotel is located. Obviously it is an expensive hotel but if you have the opportunity to stay here I recommend you do so as it is a unique experience. Beyond this hotel, there are other places where you can stay within the Circuito Chico area.
Recommended hotels in Circuito Chico:
- Llao Llao: the most famous and luxurious hotel in all of Bariloche. The location of the hotel is unique so it really is to go to rest and enjoy this special place with so much history. The hotel has a spa, swimming pools, restaurants, golf course, etc. Click here to see photos, availability and prices.
- Hotel Amancay: this hotel is located very close to Llao Llao, with panoramic views of Lake Nahuel Huapi. It has swimming pool and a restaurant. Click here to see photos, availability and prices.
- Gran Hotel Panamericano: located in the first kilometers of Circuito Chico, an old hotel surrounded by nature. Click here to see photos, availability and prices.
- CERRO CATEDRAL
✓ Best area if you’re skiing
✘ High prices during high season
If you’re visiting Bariloche in winter to enjoy Cerro Catedral ski resort, it is clearly going to be convenient for you to stay near this area. It is expensive during winter, so the sooner you can book your accommodation the better. At the base of the ski resort you will find several hotels, as well as restaurants and shops.
Recommended hotels in Catedral:
- Galileo Boutique Hotel: boutique hotel located a few meters from the ski resort access. Spacious rooms and the possibility of staying in an apartment for up to 10 people if you travel in a group. Click here to see photos, availability and prices.
- Hostería del Cerro: classic inn located at the base. It has a heated pool and restaurant. Click here to see photos, availability and prices.
- Punto Bariloche: apartments for 4 to 6 people. Ideal if you travel in a group and want to save some money. Click here to see photos, availability and prices.
- LAGO GUTIERREZ
✓ Surrounded by nature
✓Close to Cerro Catedral
✘ Few options
A good option whether you travel in winter or in summer to do trekkings and be in contact with nature. This lake of glacial origin is surrounded by forests and beautiful landscapes. There aren’t a lot of accommodations in the area but it’s totally worth it. It has a small center with some restaurants and shops.
Recommended hotels in Lago Gutierrez:
- Arelauquen Lodge: 5 star hotel with spectacular views. Ideal to spend a few days relaxing in Bariloche. Click here to see photos, availability and prices.
- Peuma Hue: rustic hotel surrounded by green space and views of the lake. They offer both double rooms and small cabins. Click here to see photos, availability and prices.
I hope this complete guide on where to stay in Bariloche has been useful to you. If you have any questions, feel free to leave them in the comments!
Other posts about Argentina:
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. That means, if you click on certain links within this post and make a purchase, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Read more about it here.