New York is an amazing city anytime, each season offers visitors plenty of reasons to visit. When choosing what to pack for a winter trip, some items are essential. This following post is a New York winter packing list and includes a downloadable checklist that you can print.
In this post you will find:
New York weather in winter
Visiting the city that never sleeps in winter has many positive aspects, apart from how beautiful everything looks covered in snow. You can find cheaper hotel rates, the city is less crowded and you can enjoy plenty of indoor activities the city offers. However, it can get really, really cold so it is important to wear the right clothes to enjoy your days in the city.
During winter, the temperature in New York can drop to about -10/-15 °C (5/14 °F). It usually snows a lot, mostly during January and February. Although it is very cold, you can still enjoy the city during this season if wearing the right clothes.
For more information read: Things to do in winter in New York
New York winter packing list
When it comes to what to wear in New York in winter, layering is key! Temperatures can vary so it’s important to pack the appropriate winter clothes.
- Thermal clothes: thermal tops and leggings are the best clothes to wear as a base layer. Leggings are great for wearing underneath your pants and add warmth. You can buy thermal clothes at UNIQLO or get them at Amazon.
- Sweaters: You will also want to wear comfy wool sweaters. If you can’t tolerate wool, you can wear just synthetic thick sweaters like this one.
- Pants: I like to pack two pairs of blue jeans and wear thermal underwear. The double layering makes a big difference!
- Dress or skirt: if you want to dress up for dinner, a great item to pack is a sweater dress. You can also wear a corderoy skirt and combine it with comfy sweaters. If you want to wear a dress or skirt, make sure you pack a good pair of thermal tights.
- Fleece jacket: on my trip to New York in winter I wore a fleece jacket like this one almost every day. It was really helpful to keep me warm in the coldest days.
- Jackets: Make sure you bring a waterproof jacket for rain and snow. A thick parka-style jacket is the best you can pack. Canada Goose jackets are an investment but totally worth it. Other warm jackets with great quality are the ones from The North Face.
- Socks: Don’t forget to bring thick socks, Smartwool is great.
When it comes to shoes, you’ll want to bring a pair of comfortable waterproof boots. I love Timberland boots, I think they’re perfect for NYC weather in winter. If you want to get snow boots, Sorel is a great canadian brand. You might also want to bring a pair of walking/athletic shoes and a pair of nice shoes if you’re going out to a nice restaurant. A pair of rain boots might be useful as well.
- Scarf, gloves, hat: A long thick scarf is a must have. You will also need to pack a good pair of gloves, I like Columbia ones. You will also need to pack a hat or beanies (I love my Herschel beanie). It is also a great idea to bring earmuffs to protect your ears.
- Bag: Most museums do not allow backpacks and will require you to check them in, so a good option might be to bring a cross body bag. I have a Herschel backpack which I love because it’s small but big enough to fit all the items I need for a day exploring the city.
- Lip balm: I seriously can’t travel anywhere without a lipbalm. You will definitely need it everyday in winter in New York. I love Burt’s Bees.
- Foot and hand warmers: If you’re really cold, you can buy foot warmers andhand warmers which will keep your feet and hands warm for a couple of hours.
ELECTRONICS & EXTRAS
- Portable charger: A portable charger is definitely a must. Apps like Google maps or Uber are useful when exploring a city and they consume a lot of battery.
- Electric converter: If you’re not from the US, you’ll need a US adapter. I always travel with a universal adapter.
- Packing Cubes: These are great for keeping your suitcase organized and to maximize space.
- Water bottle/Mug: I always travel with a water bottle and fill it up at the hotel. You can also bring your own mug for warm beverages.
- Umbrella: it usually rains a lot during winter in New York so a compact travel umbrella that fits in your bag can be a useful item to pack.
My New York winter look:
Planning a trip to New York City? Find cheap flights to New York here. Find cheap accommodation here. The best things to do in New York: Other New York posts: Disclaimer: PostcardsfromIvI is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
Planning a trip to New York City?
Find cheap flights to New York here.
Find cheap accommodation here.
The best things to do in New York:
Other New York posts:
Disclaimer: PostcardsfromIvI is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.